Performing an enema is one way of helping the body heal from all the toxins that ravage our internal systems on a daily basis. A colon cleanse or enema is a detox technique that we need to do regularly if we want to ensure optimal functioning not only of the colon, but that of the entire body. If this is your first time hearing about colon enema, this guide will help you learn the basics as well as the step-by-step process on how you can do it at home.
What is an enema?
Simply put, an enema is an alternative wellness procedure that flushes out unwanted toxins and wastes from the colon. This internal cleanse for the colon washes away impurities that clog and accumulate in the large intestine, thus restoring its optimum functioning ability.
There are two primary goals to performing an enema:
- In the case of a colon cleanse enema, toxins and impacted stool are released from the body. The accumulation of hardened stool and waste materials disrupt the normal functioning of the digestive system resulting in the development of unpleasant symptoms including constipation, diarrhoea, and indigestion to name a few. A colon cleansing enema mainly uses water to cleanse the gut in the safest and most effective means possible.
- Liver detox is the primary aim of performing a coffee enema. Coffee enema is a retention type enema which makes use of the healing powers of coffee to remove toxins that disrupt the normal functioning of the liver. A defective liver is overburdened by toxins which in turn makes it inefficient in removing toxins from the bloodstream. Beneficial compounds found in coffee namely caffeine and palmitic acid triggers the body to produce natural healing enzymes such as bile and glutathione S-transferase.
What is colon hydrotherapy?
In truth, enema is an alternative healing technique. Although an optional wellness procedure, holistic experts highly recommend including colon cleanse and coffee enema as part of your wellness routine.
Colonic hydrotherapy is yet another form of colon cleansing. Unlike the home enema that only flushes waste from the distal end of the large intestine, colon hydrotherapy guarantees total cleansing of the entire length of the gastrointestinal system. This waste cleansing therapy is exclusively performed in wellness clinics that offer colonics. A skilled and trained hydrotherapist will facilitate the procedure and operate the colonics machine used throughout the session.
In the case of colonics, up to 70 litres of water are introduced into the colon in a period of 45 minutes to 1 hour. The closed-system colon hydrotherapy machine simultaneously feeds water into the colon and releases wastes too. This is an efficient colon cleansing system that utilises low water pressure to loosen impacted fecal materials, mucoid plaque and other impurities that have accumulated along the colon walls.
Colon hydrotherapy also involves massaging of the abdominal region to induce peristalsis; a process that moves all undigested food items from the small intestine into the colon. Probiotics and prebiotics are also given to colonics patients to replenish the beneficial flora in the gut.
Ideally, colon hydrotherapy is the first wellness procedure to undergo if you want to lose weight or simply improve your quality of life. At-home colon cleanse enemas act as maintenance colon cleansing procedures that you need to perform in between colonics sessions.
Who needs an enema?
An enema should be practiced by anybody who wants to improve their sense of wellness, those who want to lose weight and those who suffer from gastrointestinal conditions. Although considered an alternative wellness treatment, colon cleanse enemas, coffee enemas, and colonics are becoming the preferred procedures for those seeking powerful healing results without depending on over-the-counter medications.
In the case of coffee enema, cancer patients who undergo traditional cancer treatment protocols are required to perform coffee enema up to 6 times daily. Max Gerson, an esteemed wellness practitioner first introduced the use of coffee in enema during the 1930s. Based on his research, coffee contains high doses of palmitic acids and caffeine- compounds that are known to induce liver detox effects. The Gerson Cancer Treatment which includes a strict diet intake of fruits and vegetables, also requires doing coffee enemas to remove toxins from the body. Post-cancer treatment, coffee enema helps the body?s natural detoxification system to remove the waste materials that are produced by traditional cancer treatments including radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Healthy individuals are also advised to perform coffee enema to help maintain healthy liver functioning which prevents the development of colon cancer, liver cancer, and other gastrointestinal conditions.
Colon cleansing and coffee enemas are helpful for:
- People who suffer from allergies
- People exhibiting symptoms of depression
- Individuals who suffer from constant migraine attacks and headaches
- Easy fatigability and irritability
- People with reduced or loss of appetite
- People with poor focus or lack of concentration
- People suffering from common gastrointestinal conditions such as chronic constipation, excessive gas, bloating, and diarrhoea
- People with inflammatory conditions
- People with weak immune system functioning
- Overweight individuals or those suffering from obesity
The easiest way to start your journey to wellness is by starting with a colonic hydrotherapy session. This is a semi-invasive, but still harmless procedure so no side effects or complications are associated with colon cleansing. Although this is the case, it is highly recommended to consult your doctor prior to your colonics session.
What do you need to perform an enema at home?
The first thing that you need to do is to prepare the enema kit for the procedure. Enema kits are easier to purchase than buying tools and equipment for an enema separately. In addition, it is cheaper to buy an enema kit. Here are some pointers when shopping for an enema kit:
- It?s always best to purchase an enema kit which comes with a stainless steel bucket. Since an at-home enema should be performed once a week or once in two weeks for a few months, consider purchasing an enema container that you can use multiple times. For first timers, you may opt to buy a disposable enema kit, but if you are planning to make enema a part of your wellness routine, it?s best to buy a sturdy stainless steel container. Steel buckets also hold more liquid and do not corrode or rust when exposed to the elements. They are hygienic to use in that they are easy to wash, dry, and store.
- Enema clamp and tubing are usually made from clear plastic or silicone rubber material. We highly recommend purchasing silicon tubing in that they are more durable and are less prone to kinking and leaks.
Once you have purchased your enema kit, the next step is to choose your enema solution. The primary solution for enema is distilled water. Make sure to use distilled water only to reduce the risk of infection or contamination.
In the case of coffee enema, holistic experts firmly believe that only organic coffee beans should be used for enema. Regular caffeinated coffee that is bought in supermarkets may contain high amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals used in the mass cultivation of coffee beans.
Light to medium roast coffee beans are ideal for liver detox purposes. They contain the highest concentrations of caffeine and palmitates. ?Unroasted green coffee beans on the other hand are suitable for people who want to utilise an enema for weight loss. Unroasted coffee beans contain chlorogenic acid, a polyphenol known to boost metabolism and assists in proper blood sugar regulation.
If you are performing Fleet enema to treat chronic constipation, make sure to check the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Fleet enema is a retention type enema that involves holding the solution inside the colon for at least 12 minutes. This type of enema draws water from the intestines, which in turn triggers regular bowel movement.
Now that you have everything that you need for an enema, you can perform an enema at home. Make sure to do the enema in the bathroom to minimise mess and to facilitate immediate expulsion of wastes. Ideally, a colon enema should be performed in the evening or on the weekend to ensure easy and fast accessibility to a bathroom.
Expect at least four times of bowel movements after an enema. On average, you can lose up to 5 kilograms of excess wastes from a single enema session at home or a colon hydrotherapy session at a clinic.
To learn more about the different types of enema and the entire process of how it?s done, click here. You may also reach us at 0414 064 491 for additional enquiries.