Administering a Fleet enema can be tricky for first timers. Using sodium phosphates to produce rapid bowel movement requires practitioners to follow clear instructions. In this article, we present an easy-to-remember guide on how to do a fleet enema at home.
How to give yourself an enema at home
Fleet enema is recommended to provide relief from occasional constipation and as a cleansing preparation for various diagnostic procedures and surgeries. The goal of giving yourself an enema at home is to induce bowel movement immediately after holding the enema solution for two to five minutes.
The process on how to give an enema on another individual is different from self-administration. We will first discuss how to give yourself an enema.
- Prepare your Fleet enema of choice. Break the removal shield from the tip prior to insertion.
- Make sure to conduct the enema in the bathroom to minimise mess and to facilitate easy and fast defecation.
- You can use lubricant on the tip of the nozzle. Use a water-based lube like KY jelly if available. You may also use olive oil or coconut oil for easy insertion of the tip.
- Squeeze the contents of the bottle into the rectum. Make sure to introduce all the contents of the bottle into the colon. Gently remove the tip from the rectum.
- On the bathroom floor, lie on the left side and bring your knees to a bent position. This s a comfortable position to assume while holding the solution inside the colon.
- After five minutes, you will start to feel the urge to defecate. Make sure to empty your bowels completely for best results.
How to give a fleet enema to others
The following instructions are to be followed if you are required to give a fleet enema to your child or to an elderly person at home. The first few steps are identical to Fleet enema self-administration. You will only change the steps once you reach #3.
- Position the individual on his or her left side. Ask ?the person to bend the knee and pull the legs up to the chest. The left arm should be under the head so the person is comfortable.
- Insert the lubricated tip of the Fleet enema bottle into the buttock. Insert the nozzle 3.5 inches up the rectum. Once placement is secured, squeeze the enema solution into the colon gently. Empty the bottle and make sure to ask the individual to hold the solution for up to 5 minutes.
- Assist the individual to defecate on the toilet bowl. If you are performing an enema in bed, make sure to be ready with the bedpan after taking out the tip from the anal opening.
If you want to learn more about Fleet enema and seek for more reasons to do it on yourself, call us on 0414 064 491! We will be more than happy to educate you about Fleet enemas. We also have a wide collection of Fleet enema products and home enema kits at affordable packages!